Curling

Ok. So you have most likely seen Curling on TV like on the Olympics. When I first saw it I cracked up. They look ridiculous. But it is a very strategic sport. In my opinion I think it’s hilarious to watch people play the sport Curling. Here are some reasons why….

First of all, when they speak they don’t say words the just go “WHOA! WHOA!” and this is just one of the things I don’t understand. They have different ways of saying it, and they have different meanings. It’s like they created their own curling language. When it is a long whoa it usually means back off. When it is a short whoa it means slow down. This is just from what I have observed.

Also they have these sticks that they use to heat up the ice and this is what they use to direct the way that the rock goes and the speed of the rock. They have to use a lot of force to go back and forth quickly so that the rock goes where they want it to go.

One of the very odd things is their shoes and it is as if they almost look like they are sliding on the ice. Their shoes have some sort of white bottom that just allows them to slide. They don’t have skates on which I think is very odd. I would think that they would want traction to be able to get a sturdy grip to be able to push harder on the pole that they use.

All in all I think Curling is a really funny and focused game. It might be interesting to play it some day for fun but I don’t think that I will professionally Curl for a living.

This entry was posted in Fun.

6 thoughts on “Curling

1. So that’s what those broomsticks are for! I’ve never actually watched the sport in action, only seen still photos.

This was very informative, Alena. Thanks for the interesting read!

2. Hi Alena,

I agree that ice curling is really funny. I hadn’t noticed what you did about the “whoas!”, though. Nice insight!

–Ms. Velasco